Friday, September 10, 2004
Definitely Maybe DVD

If you know me, and I mean even vaguely know me, you must know that I am a huge Oasis fan (does the term "Oasis-head" exist? If it does, that's me). I've casually liked Oasis for a while now, but I really started to love this last school year in Journalism class, along with my pals Richard, Matt, Honoré, and Britney. I have been a rabid fan since then.

Oasis released a DVD commemorating the 10th anniversary of the release of their debut, Definitely Maybe, this past Tuesday. I had been anticipating this purchase since I first posted about it in August. I already own There and Then, have looked for Live By The Sea, and haven't even bothered with Familiar to Millions, and was excited to add this to my collection. I went to my local Hastings directly after school, searched through their music DVD section, and to my disappointment, did not find it. As I walked away in utter disgust of the music DVD selection at Hastings, I decided to look at the "New Release" wall. I had not thought of looking there previously, because when I looked for the Belle and Sebastian DVD, Fans Only, there earlier this year on release day, it wasn't there (it was in the music DVD section). So, as I turned around, I found it. I instantly snatched it up, because it was the only copy present (I know how many people would be looking for it). I checked it out, and went home as fast as possible. When I put disc one in my DVD player, I knew exactly what was in store.

Oasis wastes no time. Right from the get-go, they knock you on your ass with their greatness. There are no introduction screens or flashy menus -- it takes you straight to the first song of the album (Rock 'n' Roll Star). The only way I can describe this DVD is that its setup resembles one of those crappy "Choose Your Own Adventure" books that you read in elementary school. From the screen with the song playing, you can hit any direction on your remote to go to a different section of the DVD pertaining to that specific song. For instance, if you were listening to Shakermaker, you could press "up" to go to a documentary, "down" to go to the promo video for Shakermaker, "left" to go to a live perfomance of the song, and so on. The live performances of the songs are exceptional, all of them dating from their 1994 tour. The documentaries are comprehensive, and the promo videos are exciting to watch.

Not only do they give you the album with all of that extra stuff added with it, they also throw a bonus DVD at you. Various live performances and documentaries are included on this DVD, and it is only available until the end of 2004. As if you think it can't get possibly any better, the DVD includes commentary from Burt Bacharach. Bam!

This DVD was worth every last red cent I paid for it. For a mere $15.87, you can provide yourself with over four jam-packed hours of Oasis-goodness. Don't waste any more time -- go and buy it now.

chandler at 5:22 PM | |

Designed by Anja Stern (Brazil) at Blogskins
Powered by Blogger
Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com